Founded in 2007 by Casey Overeem and recognised as one of the first distilleries in Tasmania, Overeem Distillery are renowned for producing consistently high quality, single cask, single malt whisky.
Relatively small scale and with demand often making their product difficult to find, Overeem has played an integral role in developing the premium reputation now associated with Australian Whisky.
Fully independent and family owned, their spirit is produced using traditional production methods combined with a new world influence. Making the most of the finest ingredients Tasmania has to offer they practice patience and precision through all aspects of production to create a whisky to proudly stand alongside the best in the world.
Overeem Whisky is 100% independent and family owned and the only original Tasmanian distillery to still remain in the hands of its founding family
- Tasmanian Whisky pioneer Casey Overeem founded Overeem Distillery in 2007 as the fourth distillery in Tasmania
- The distillery is still in the family – it’s now co-owned by Casey’s daughter Jane and son-in-law Mark
- Casey’s first distilling experience in Norway in the 1980s fuelled his passion, leading to years of research and experimentation to make Overeem Whisky truly exceptional
- Overeem is situated in the port city of Hobart, Tasmania, an island of unspoiled beauty, 240km South of mainland Australia
- An abundance of soft, pure water from the slopes of Mount Wellington, premium barley and the perfect climate aid production of this unique single malt whisky
- Every bottle is meticulously hand-crafted with patience and precision in a unique process to produce an exceptionally delicate and balanced spirit
- Maturation takes place in heavily charred and toasted oak casks, nestled in a cool environment where the spirit can rest and gently develop over time
- All Overeem single malt whiskies offer layers of subtle, yet complex and delicate flavours awaiting the appreciative palate
Cask World’s Highlights
I met Jane Overeem at a special time in the company's history. Trading with husband Mark as Sawford Distillery (following the sale of the Overeem brand by founder and Jane's Father, Casey) the brand would be back in the hands of the Overeem family soon after my visit.
Involved in whisky since her teens, Jane built Overeem with her dad. Meeting her was a breath of fresh air - she knows whisky, it’s in her blood and comes naturally to her. From the moment I met her I understood why Overeem is so successful and their whisky ranks amongst the tastiest in the world.
Jane happily gave me a tour including her Dad’s whisky collection and their Bond store at the back of the distillery. I was particularly pleased with the security and their excellent insurance policy covering maturing whisky. This immediately gave me confidence my casks would be safe leaving me to sleep easy at night.
Overeem now produce whisky based on a proven backbone of 3 complex single malt expressions (made up of Sherry, Port and Bourbon cask matured), presented at either Cask (60% ABV) or Distillers Strength (43% ABV).
Working as a family unit with master distiller Nicky, these guys are where they are because of their hard work, grit, determination and ‘whisky forward’ vision. We're proud to own casks at Overeem, to be partnered with them and be able to share their whisky with the world.
Overeem at a glance
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Casey Overeem - Founder & Brand Ambassador
Jane Overeem – Owner, Distiller, Sales & Marketing
Mark Sawford – Owner & Production Manager
Nicky Harris – Head Distiller
Purpose Built Warehouse, All Copper Pot Stills, Concrete Purpose Built Bondstores
Primary Whisky Types
Single Cask, Single Malt Whisky
Port, Sherry and Bourbon + Limited edition releases
Concrete bunkers and concrete warehouses
Av. Length of Maturation
Currently 5-12 years
Current Bottle Prices
AU$195 (distillers strength) AU$255 (Cask Strength)
Whisky Magazine's Icons of Whisky Australia 2021 - Distillery Manager of the Year for Jane Overeem
OzWhisky Awards 2020 - Winner of Best Australian Single Malt for the Man of Promise Release
World Whisky Awards 2019 - Category Winner World's Best Single Cask Single Malt Whisky for Overeem Port Cask Matured 43%
Jim Murray's Whisky Bible Liquid Gold Awards 2015, 2014, 2013 for all Overeem's Cask Strength 60% ABV entries (94.5 – 95.0 points) placing Overeem in the top 2% of the best whiskies in the world for 3 years in a row
Malt Maniacs, UK Awards 2015 – SILVER 86/100 for Sherry 60%, SILVER 85/100 for Port 60%, BRONZE 83/100 for Bourbon 60%, and a special mention in ‘Ultra-Premium Category’
Malt Whisky Society of Australia 2012 - Australia’s Best Whisky
World of Whisky 2012 - Australasian Whisky of the Year
Wizards of Whisky, London 2012 - Silver Medal Winner (x3)
Take a look around
Click on an image to view the gallery full screen